Saturday 7 February 2015

FEATURED PAGE - SOCKAMAJIGS - 7.2.15

SOCKAMAJIGS 

Let me first introduce myself: I'm Kerry Hoare, an American living in London since 2001. Sockamajigs was "born" over two years ago and since then I have sewn and created these little sock animals nearly every day. Although by profession I am a Child and Family Therapist, I now enthusiastically call myself a toymaker. I also work as a background/supporting artiste for films and television.




My first sock monkey, an original Rockford Redheel design, was handmade by my grandmother. It soon became, and remained, my most precious possession throughout my childhood and into my teens. When I was about thirteen, I found my grandmother's sock monkey pattern and started making sock monkeys for ill children in the local hospital. Some 40+ years later I started making sock monkeys once again for family and friends, even though I hadn't sewn on a sewing machine since my teens.

Sockamajigs has grown into a very busy small business and my unique creations are in great demand. I sell only from my Facebook page and I have a loyal group of followers. I enjoy the personal communication between myself and the customer; FB is a great platform for being able to offer a bespoke service. 




 

Until very recently I worked from our 45-foot narrowboat. Working from a boat is challenging, not only with limited space, but also the domestic batteries always needing to be fully charged to run my sewing machine and have bright lights. Now having a little workspace in our flat feels like such luxury. I'm hoping to double my productivity.

I make Large Sockamajigs that are similar to the original sock monkey pattern and Little Sockamajigs which I have designed. My creations often wear clothes made of just socks too, and the "hoodie" has been a popular addition. I don't sketch out new designs for the animals or clothes, but rather I make up the patterns in my head. Over the past few years I've made Zombie Monkeys, Punky Munkeys, giraffes, elephants, bears, cats and most recently dogs of every imaginable breed. I hand-embroider name badges and love using buttons for eyes or decoration. My favourite part is "sculpting" their little facial features to make them come alive. 






 Sockamajigs are marked with the CE logo, and meet the European Union Soft Toy Safety Regulations 2011. 

As I complete each Sockamajig, it brings a smile to my face. I hope I can share that joy with you.


Please pop over and visit my fb page


No comments:

Post a Comment